Monster Hunters Forum

HomePartnersFAQMonster HunterSearchRegisterMemberlistLog in

Share | 

Why do most people avoid Monster Hunter in the U.S.?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
MonsterHunted

Posts Posts : 14
Rathalos Rubies Rathalos Rubies : 24

PostSubject: Why do most people avoid Monster Hunter in the U.S.?   Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:21 pm

I'll be the first to say I know there are a lot of Monster Hunter fans in Japan, but when it comes to the U.S., 95% of the people I talk to are pretty uninterested in the series as a whole. I find this so weird because a lot of my friends love games that involve fighting giant monsters, making armor, playing with friends and having a decent diversity of weapon choices, yet they just aren't interested in even trying the game.

Even at Gametop the other day, I was considering buying a 3DS and I asked them if they had a demo for the game because I wanted to test the camera control and they just said up front "Yeah, I tried Monster Hunter once, didn't like it, never went back."

I understand people don't have to like the same things, which is always welcoming, I guess I always kinda wondered why people here tend to turn down playing the games or avoid them all together. Perhaps the learning curve and lack of story?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mortek

Posts Posts : 374
Rathalos Rubies Rathalos Rubies : 408

PostSubject: Re: Why do most people avoid Monster Hunter in the U.S.?   Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:34 pm

People tend to ignore and avoid things they dont know much about. The Monster Hunter series isnt well advertized in the US or EU. Employees in gamestores nowdays are all mainstream Call of Duty (or WoW, or LoL, or any well known game tbh) gamers, and they just stick to whatevers the popular game.

Monster Hunter is an under-dog game. Its not well known, and the consoles its been released on hasnt been the most successful ones (referring to the PSP sales).

Its also kinda complicated to get into, and that scares most of the mainstream gamers off. They are used to get straight into the action, while Monster Hunter kinda has a build up before you can actually "play" the game.

A lack of story is something we must consider as well. When I first tried the game, I was kinda expecting something from it, but it was all just, "do this quest", "save this village from a beast", etc etc.

For me, Monster Hunter is an ideal game. Just think about it. Hunters in general dont do things to save the world, they do it for survival.

Because we are the heroes the world of Minegarde deserves. So, we'll hunt monsters. We are silent guardians. Watchful protectors. We are Monster Hunters!

Batman reference \o/
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MonsterHunted

Posts Posts : 14
Rathalos Rubies Rathalos Rubies : 24

PostSubject: Re: Why do most people avoid Monster Hunter in the U.S.?   Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:46 pm

Mortek wrote:
People tend to ignore and avoid things they dont know much about. The Monster Hunter series isnt well advertized in the US or EU. Employees in gamestores nowdays are all mainstream Call of Duty (or WoW, or LoL, or any well known game tbh) gamers, and they just stick to whatevers the popular game.

Monster Hunter is an under-dog game. Its not well known, and the consoles its been released on hasnt been the most successful ones (referring to the PSP sales).

Its also kinda complicated to get into, and that scares most of the mainstream gamers off. They are used to get straight into the action, while Monster Hunter kinda has a build up before you can actually "play" the game.

A lack of story is something we must consider as well. When I first tried the game, I was kinda expecting something from it, but it was all just, "do this quest", "save this village from a beast", etc etc.

For me, Monster Hunter is an ideal game. Just think about it. Hunters in general dont do things to save the world, they do it for survival.

Because we are the heroes the world of Minegarde deserves. So, we'll hunt monsters. We are silent guardians. Watchful protectors. We are Monster Hunters!

Batman reference \o/

That was very well put, you make some rather good points. When and my friend used to play, the lack of story didn't really bother us at all, as we unintentionally kinda told our own story. We were simply two hunters trying to be the best in taking down vicious monsters, it didn't need an epic story, epic monsters were enough to provide a sense of adventure.

yeah it's not really a game you can jump into, I was the first in my area to buy the original on the PS2 back in 2004. Nobody I knew ever heard of the game, I just got it for 14 dollars after finding it buried in a used game bin. The title sounded cool so I thought I'd give it a try. In the beginning, I wasn't too excited with the game, but as it progressed, I found myself having a lot of fun discovering new monster and collecting materials for better weapons and armor. My friends saw me fighting monsters and once they saw how cool the game really was, they bought copies themselves.

I'm hoping I'll be able to introduce a new friend to monster hunter via the Wii U and 3DS since he can try it for free at my house. I'm just not the kind of person who plays Call of Duty and stuff unfortunately, I can see why people like those games, they just never did it for me personally. I am the minority on this haha
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kusanagi

Posts Posts : 274
Rathalos Rubies Rathalos Rubies : 319

PostSubject: Re: Why do most people avoid Monster Hunter in the U.S.?   Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:25 am

Mortek wrote:

Batman reference \o/

Excellently put. Don't forget the issue of the platforms it was released on (mostly psp until now).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dreadlord

Posts Posts : 92
Rathalos Rubies Rathalos Rubies : 98

PostSubject: Re: Why do most people avoid Monster Hunter in the U.S.?   Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:20 am

A reason can be the difficult of MH as i can see many people started to play MHFU and when they see the monster killing their character once and again and again they just give up.Although MHTri have his difficult as well and for the beginners barioth and rathalos can be quite hard.I remember had played with others hunters and when they fight Nargakuga for the first time they abandon the game and said:this game is a ..... you know what
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Why do most people avoid Monster Hunter in the U.S.?   

Back to top Go down

Why do most people avoid Monster Hunter in the U.S.?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Monster Hunters Forum :: Monster Hunter :: Questions-