Share | 

Raw Vs. Elemental

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Cool Guy Bob

Posts Posts : 33
Rathalos Rubies Rathalos Rubies : 43

PostSubject: Raw Vs. Elemental   Thu May 17, 2012 1:26 am

Okay, so as most of us know, elemental weapons can be that small tip in your favour to turn a hunt from a monster carting you repeatedly and you slicing off the tail in just a few hits. To me, it's fairly obvious that I should use an elemental weapon over a non-elemental weapon if I have the right element to exploit my target's weakness.

However, what if I have two weapons with the same element? For example, in Monster Hunter Portable 3rd, let's say I want to fight something that has a thunder weakness. I currently have the choice between two longswords for this one.

Chain Blade +
Attack: 185
Element: 12 Thunder
Sharpness: Green
Affinity: 0%

Lightning Splitter
Attack: 175
Element: 20 Thunder
Sharpness: Green
Affinity: 0%

It's clear that the CB+ has an extra 10 raw damage over the LS. However, it falls short on the 8 less Thunder damage. My real question is: What would be the better weapon to use? The one with more raw damage and less elemental, or the weapon with less raw damage and more elemental? Is there an obvious choice? Are they about equal and it's left to preference? Tell me what you know/think Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mortek

Posts Posts : 374
Rathalos Rubies Rathalos Rubies : 408

PostSubject: Re: Raw Vs. Elemental   Thu May 17, 2012 2:48 am

Easy. You should choose the weapon that has the most elemental points. (edited because of poor sentence structure)

Example: Rathalos

Wailing Cleaver Shin (Raw: 1200, Thunder 560) > C.Blango Destructor (Raw: 1536)

Take note: Some monsters might have elemental weaknesses, but sometimes there is just no need for an elemental weapon.

Wanna tell me what monster you are unsure of?

(btw we are walking into the infamous Damage Formula >.>... siin is very good at this, and Im not)

Last edited by Mortek on Thu May 17, 2012 10:30 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cool Guy Bob

PostSubject: Re: Raw Vs. Elemental   Thu May 17, 2012 2:59 am

Thanks for replying, but I think you missed the point of what I was trying to get at. Based on your response I'm unsure if you actually read my post or if you just read the title and quickly responded because it didn't make sense to you.

To reiterate, I was comparing two similar weapons with the same element. One had higher raw damage and less elemental, and the other had lower raw damage and higher elemental. I just want to know which would be the better choice, more raw, or more elemental?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kusanagi

Posts Posts : 274
Rathalos Rubies Rathalos Rubies : 319

PostSubject: Re: Raw Vs. Elemental   Thu May 17, 2012 5:15 am

It is always based on your mission. Each monster has a % increase in damage regarding elemental. However, if you want a sword that can be used for more than one thing (monsters weak to that element), then raw damage weapons are more adaptable since they aren't monster specific. However, you lose 10RAW for 8 Elemental. I think the raw damage weapon will suffice. In the end, their difference is so minimal it will only effect the time it takes to kill the monster by 1 or 2 minutes. Hope this helps.

TL;DR?: Go with the raw one for now.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mortek

Posts Posts : 374
Rathalos Rubies Rathalos Rubies : 408

PostSubject: Re: Raw Vs. Elemental   Thu May 17, 2012 10:26 pm

Cool Guy Bob wrote:
Thanks for replying, but I think you missed the point of what I was trying to get at. Based on your response I'm unsure if you actually read my post or if you just read the title and quickly responded because it didn't make sense to you.

To reiterate, I was comparing two similar weapons with the same element. One had higher raw damage and less elemental, and the other had lower raw damage and higher elemental. I just want to know which would be the better choice, more raw, or more elemental?

I read the whole thing.

What I was trying to say, pick the one with most element (was the first thing I wrote on my post btw).

To what Kusanagi said. Raw is good for multiuse indeed.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Aboddon

Posts Posts : 108
Rathalos Rubies Rathalos Rubies : 126

PostSubject: Re: Raw Vs. Elemental   Thu May 17, 2012 11:50 pm

Personally I choose Raw over elemental. Raw damage is generally what you get per hit (targeted area Limiting ie: head, body, tail). With elemental damage it is a "estimated Max" and you will not always get the full amount (affinity will help but not guarantee it either).

Again, to simplify Raw damage is steady and will account for the majority of your attack on a monster, elemental damage is mercurial and while handy it will not always grant it's full potential per hit.

I personally would (and do) choose the Chainblade+ in your scenario.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cool Guy Bob

PostSubject: Re: Raw Vs. Elemental   Fri May 18, 2012 12:21 am

Aboddon wrote:
Personally I choose Raw over elemental. Raw damage is generally what you get per hit (targeted area Limiting ie: head, body, tail). With elemental damage it is a "estimated Max" and you will not always get the full amount (affinity will help but not guarantee it either).

Again, to simplify Raw damage is steady and will account for the majority of your attack on a monster, elemental damage is mercurial and while handy it will not always grant it's full potential per hit.

I personally would (and do) choose the Chainblade+ in your scenario.

Huh. I thought it was the other way around. Thanks for answering everybody Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Aboddon

PostSubject: Re: Raw Vs. Elemental   Fri May 18, 2012 2:42 am

Cool Guy Bob wrote:

Huh. I thought it was the other way around. Thanks for answering everybody Very Happy

Heh.. nope Elemental damage is good only for those that are weak versus the element.. in this case it does more damage than usual to that sole creature. So a higher effective attack rate when it happens. Raw will always do it's damage to any creature regardless.. the only inhibiting factor is sharpness.. but you already knew that Wink

Another key sign for visual understanding of what I am saying.. when you hit a monster with a weapon you will see usually blood and a connection effect (white usually a flash) correct? This is the Raw damage occuring (like clockwork).. now with a weapon possessing an element you will get certain effects in addition (ie: Red/Black flash from Dragon element , Fire burst, Ice Shards etc..) this happens when the element is effecting the attack. Now you will also notice that alot of attack with the elemental infused weapon will have just the blood or white flash, this is the Raw Damage alone that always hits and the element did not (similar to status weapons, however Elements happen more ofetn than stats).

I hope this did not confuse you.. I just figured visual reference is always a good avenue to travel when explaining a point.

Take care, and Happy Hunting.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kusanagi

PostSubject: Re: Raw Vs. Elemental   Fri May 18, 2012 2:47 am

Strange, the visual effect not appearing only occurs to status effect weapons. Elemental attacks are always present. The damage varies of course, but the visual effect is never missing. I'm using MHFU as a reference.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Aboddon

PostSubject: Re: Raw Vs. Elemental   Fri May 18, 2012 2:53 am

I suppose I am used to Tri and then.. because there is a noticable trend (on most weapons) with and without element effects.

lol thanks for brigning this to my attention.. now for research Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kusanagi

PostSubject: Re: Raw Vs. Elemental   Fri May 18, 2012 2:54 am

Yes, let us science! (Intentional use of science as a verb)
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Raw Vs. Elemental   

Back to top Go down

Raw Vs. Elemental

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Monster Hunters Forum :: Monster Hunter :: Questions-